Would you use a service that none of the creators used?
Only 1 of Protonmail’s creators show they use Protonmail. In fact, the majority of them hide their email address shamefully or use Gmail.
- Are they protecting their email for privacy reasons? That doesn’t make sense, Protonmail allows multiple aliases and dev’s get a free premium account with many aliases. The whole purpose of aliases is to use them in situations like this. You don’t want to expose your primary email address so you list an alias.
- Protonmail developers have no pride in their service. If I was a Protonmail developer I would proudly display my “@Protonmail.com” for everyone to see. However, Protonmail dev’s seem ashamed. Why is that?
- Protonmail’s developers would be the ones who know if Protonmail is betraying users trust. Protonmail developers do not use Protonmail and do not seem proud of it.
Below are the top 12 developers of Protonmail’s webapp in Github based on contributions between Jun 5, 2016 – Sep 17, 2019. As you can see only 1 person shows that they use Protonmail.
- EpokK – Email address not shown
- dhoko – Email address not shown
- Buildog – Personal website does not use Protonmail.com (No pride in “@protonmail.com”)
- mmso – Uses Protonmail
- KAYLukas – Email address not shown
- nico3333fr – Custom domain leads to infomaniak.ch
- bar butler – Email address not shown
- BafS – Uses Gmail
- Sanjana Rajan – Uses Gmail
- Emersion – Does not use Protonmail.com (No pride in “@protonmail.com”)
- Jasonstockman – Email address not shown
- Emnproton – Email address not shown
- Jan Veverka – Uses Gmail (Archive)
Protonmail maintains the OpenPGP.js library. In Github there are 8 key people who oversee its maintenance. Some of the same people who maintain their web app. None of them show they use “@Protonmail”.
- Bartbutler – Email address not shown
- Fitblip – Uses Gmail
- Tanx Personal Website Shows – Does not use Protonmail.com (No pride in “@protonmail.com”)
- Toberndo – Uses Mailvelope.com
- Seancolyer – Custom domain leads to Gmail
- Sanjanarajan – Uses Gmail
- dreamingofelectricsheep Email address not shown
As soon as they see this blog post, Protonmail may require all their dev’s show they use Protonmail. So for the sake of providing a historical record, I have taken pictures of all the dev’s github accounts to prove what I stated above is true.